- 2 cups plain flour (maida)/all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. soda bicarb
- 1 tsp sesame seeds/til
- 1 tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- pinch of ajwain(carom seeds) - this is optional
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. curds or buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter or oil for kneading the dough
- Milk to knead dough
- Vegetable oil to deep fry
- Sieve together flour, salt,soda, jeera and ajwain.
- Mix in curds/buttermilk. Knead the dough. Use oil too.
- Add enough milk to make it into a soft pliable dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth.Keep aside for 5-6 hours. Make sure the cloth does not dry up, or wet again.Knead dough again.
- Take fistful of dough. Roll and spread them like chapati; but make them thick (appx. 1/4 inch).
- Fry in hot oil and keep pressing the bubbles till the side flares up.
- Turn only once till the bhatura turns golden.
- Serve it hot with chana masala and with sliced onion and lemon by the side!